My Hero Academia or Boku no Hero Academia recently aired the first season of its show featuring 13 episodes during the Spring 2016 season. Lets go ahead and review this dope new anime which has definitely managed to gain a lot of hype.
The story focuses on the story of Izuku Midoriya who goes to a school and is surrounded by those with powers. The word “quirks” is known as super powers within the world of My Hero Academia. Over 80 percent of humanity possess quirks which allows them anything from manipulating things to shapeshifting. The other 20 percent is a world with no power, Izuku is one of those.
Ever since he was a child, he was surrounded by multiple people who all had powers, he himself was shocked to the point that he wasn’t able to function properly as a child. He was driven away for not having any friends. This is until he meet someone who he looked up to, All Might! All Might quirks allows him to inherit power, as well as choose someone to be their successor. The story thus continues as he chooses Izuku to be that person, he thus joins AU High which allows him to hone his skills as well as to develop his powers.
I personally like the story, it could potentially be seen as another Shonen story, but sometimes that works for a lot of anime watchers. The fact that Izuku and his friend Bakugou Katsuki both joined pissed him off. Thus their rivalry begins as Bakugou wants to become the best hero in the world. The story itself features numerous number of individual with their own individual powers, some are awesome, some not so much.
The artwork as well as animation was pretty good. It was well done, but there were a bits here and there which wasn’t perfect in my opinion. Overall, in terms of animation, I think it could have done just that bit better. Sound on the other hand was dope, the opening and ending were amazing, and the OST played in the show were very well done.
The characters of the show were definitely unique, I don’t think I have ever seen a frog girl with such a long tongue. There were some amazing characters like All Might, but some others like Bakugou which were a little annoying for my liking. I think his addition to the show promotes the fact that most Shonen shows usually has a character which beats the protagonist down just so he can somehow get stronger. In terms of a favourite, I think All Might is currently up there for me.
Overall, I really enjoy the show. I might even begin reading the manga chapters to see how the show progresses. A second season is coming soon, which I’ll definitely look out for. I kind of think that this show is largely targeted towards younger individuals, I would have liked the show to be a little more darker, but I don’t think I’ll get that.
Nevertheless, I’d like to score My Hero Academia a solid:
8 out of 10
So have you been watching My Hero Academia? If so, go ahead and tell me what you rate this series using the comments below.